Uniroyal tyre on a wet road

Sizzle is a term used by engineers to describe a type of tyre noise which occurs on wet roads.

Sizzle is used by NVH engineers to describe the sound generated by the water as it is squashed between the tyre tread and the tarmac.

A similar sizzling sound can be generated on dry roads if the road surface is very smooth, due to air trapped in the tread of the tyre.